This tour is perfect if you are interested in Japan’s traditional culture and enjoy relaxed bicycle rides. We explore Japan’s ancient capitals, Nara and Kyoto, and their surrounding areas which are considered to be the best repositories of Japan’s cultural legacy. We ride leisurely, making stops at temples and historical monuments. After two days in Nara we visit a ceramic town of Shigaraki. We spend the second half of the tour riding around Lake Biwa, the largest fresh water lake in Japan. En route we visit old merchant towns of Oumi-Hachiman and Gokasho, as well as the Hikone Castle which is one of the best preserved castles in Japan. Accommodation is varied from moderate western-style hotels to elegant Japanese-style inns (Ryokans). Some of the Japanese inns only have shared baths, and do not have private bath/showers in guest rooms. This itinerary is ideal for guests extending stay in Kyoto before or after the tour.
G : Guaranteed departure
- Enjoy relaxed rides, mostly on flat terrains encompassing a few gentle hills.
- Visit the ancient capital of Kyoto which has so much to offer to visitors.
- Explore Nara by bicycle and reveal the rich history and hidden beauty of the city.
- Visit a variety of historical places, including a ceramic town of Shigaraki and the Hikone Castle.
- See the old merchant town of Oumi-Hachiman from the water by a traditional Japanese-style boat.
- Picturesque rides around Lake Biwa.
- All lodgings on a twin-share basis. A limited number of single-occupancy rooms are available for an additional charge on most tours. If you are a single traveler, please inquire for room availability and a single supplemental charge.
- Meals (8 breakfasts, and 5 dinners. Lunch is not included.)
- Guide and van support
- Rental cross bike
- Any ground transportations (except for private taxis)
- Boat ride in Oumi-Hachiman
- Admissions to temples, museums and historical attractions
- Oka Tours custom cycling jersey and a water bottle