Bound by the major islands of Honshu, Shikoku and Kyushu, the Seto Inland Sea (Setouchi) is the largest inland sea in Japan. With its calm sea surface and mild climate, the Sea and its surrounding areas have prospered as an important shipping lane since ancient times, and are full of sites of scenic and historical interest. On this trip, we explore islands and surrounding areas of the Seto Inland Sea, riding along picturesque coast of the Sea dotted with numerous islands, visiting historical and cultural sites, enjoying great food. En route, we ride across the Sea using the Shimanami Highway, the most popular cycling course in Japan which stretches across the Sea from Shikoku to Onomichi on Honshu. Our tour ends in Hiroshima with visits to the Peace Memorial Park and Miyajima, both registered with the list of UNESCO’s world cultural heritage sites.
- Meet/Depart: Himeji/Hiroshima
- Trip Length: 9 days 8 nights
- Level: RELAXED
- Price per Person: 370,000JPY (for currency converter click HERE)
- Single Supplement: 30,000JPY
- Ave. Temperature (High/Low) : Mar 14/5C (57/41F) Apr 17/8C (63/46F) Oct 21/12C (70/54F) Nov 16/7C (61/45F)
- Minimum number of guests required for guaranteed departure: 4
G : Guaranteed departure
- Enjoy relaxed rides, mostly on flat terrains encompassing a few gentle hills.
- Cycle across the Seto Inland Sea on Shimanami Kaido, the most popular cycling route in Japan with breathtaking views of the Seto Inland Sea dotted with small islands.
- Visit Himeji Castle, both a Japanese National Treasure and a World Heritage Site and one of the best preserved feudal castles in Japan.
- A variety of local cuisine featuring fresh and local ingredients.
- Stay at a traditional hot spring spa town of Dogo, said to be the oldest in Japan with 3,000years history.
- Visit Hiroshima Peace Memorial, an UNESCO’s world cultural heritage site and its Museum, and appreciate the preciousness of peace.
- Visit Miyajima, known as one of the three most beautiful sights in Japan and UNESCO’s world cultural heritage site.
- All lodgings on a twin-share basis. A limited number of single-occupancy rooms are available for an additional charge on most tours. If you are a single traveler, please inquire for room availability and a single supplemental charge.
- Meals (8 breakfasts, and 7 dinners. Lunch is not included.)
- Guide and van support
- Rental cross bike
- Any ground and ferry transportation (except for private taxis)
- Admissions to museums and historical attractions
- Oka Tours custom cycling jersey and a water bottle
We meet in Himeji for bike fitting and welcome dinner. Please plan to arrive at the Himeji train station between 3pm and 6pm. Himeji is easily accessible from Osaka, about a 1 hour ride on a local train. There are direct bus services from the Kansai International Airport to Himeji – about a 2 to 2.5 hour journey. (Dinner included)