Hokkaido is the northernmost island of Japan. With its vast land space and relatively cool and dry weather during summer, Hokkaido is an ideal playground for cyclists. On this 8 day 7 night trip, we explore the eastern parts of Hokkaido, which is considered to be some of the most beautiful areas of the island for its remoteness and untouched wilderness. A majority of our rides is in Akan national park and Shiretoko national park which has also been registered with the UNESCO’s list of world natural heritage sites. You will be riding on undulating hills through rustic pastures and fields, around pristine caldera lakes, and magnificent coastlines. Hokkaido is also home to great food and onsens (natural hot spring baths). Accommodations are varied from casual western-style hotel, charming family-run pension, to deluxe Japanese- and Western-style hotels. Most of our inns have excellent onsens.
- Meet/Depart: Memanbetsu/Memanbetsu or Shin-Chitose Sapporo/Shin-Chitose Sapporo
- Trip Length: 8 days 7 nights
- Level: MODERATE
- Price per Person: 280,000JPY or 310,000JPY if meet/depart in Shin-Chitose Sapporo (click HERE for indicative amounts in other currencies)
- Single Supplement: 20,000JPY
- Ave. Temperature (High/Low) : Jul 20/13C (68/55F) Sep 20/13C (68/55F)
- Minimum number of guests required for a guaranteed departure: 4
2021 Jun 22-29 / Jul 10-17 / Sep 1-8
2022 coming soon!
- Ride in national parks, an UNESCO’s world natural heritage site and wildlife preserves, and enjoy some of Japan’s most beautiful nature.
- Carefully selected inns which offer comfort and local charms.
- Savor Hokkaido’s rich variety of fresh seafood caught in its cold waters and the agricultural products grown on its wide farmlands.
- Excellent onsens (natural hot spring baths).
- All lodgings on a twin-share basis. A limited number of single-occupancy rooms are available for an additional charge on most tours. If you are a single traveler, please inquire for room availability.
- Meals (7 breakfasts, and 7 dinners. Lunch is not included.)
- English-speaking guide and van support
- Rental hybrid bike or road bike. If you would like to rent a road bike, please ask for availability in advance.
- Any ground transportation (except for private taxis)
- Fees for activities and admissions to attractions specified in the itinerary
- Oka Tours custom cycling jersey and a water bottle
- Once you have read and agreed with the Terms & Conditions, click the ‘BOOK ONLINE’ button below and submit an online booking form.
- We will contact you within one business day by email to confirm your reservation and arrange for payment of your deposit, which is 10% of the trip price.
- We accept payments by credit cards (Visa or MasterCard only) or wire transfer.
- After receipt of your deposit, we will send you a registration form. We ask you to fill out, sign and return to us.
- Full payment is due 21 days prior to the first day of the trip.
Meet at the Memanbetsu Airport in mid-day. After a short transfer from the Memanbetsu Airport to our hotel in Abashiri, we begin a warm up ride on a cycling path that leads onto quiet roads to Cape Notoro. From the cape, you can see the massive Sea of Okhotsk spreading out around you and the majestic Shiretoko Mountain Range. Tonight, we stay at a casual western-style hotel. We plan to have dinner at an Izakaya in Abashiri. (Dinner included)
In the morning we leave Abashiri and bike on flat roads through fields and pastures. After lunch, we take on an ascent to Bihoro Pass. From the Pass you can enjoy a breathtaking panoramic view of the surroundings including Lake Kussharo. We then descend towards Lake Kussharo and ride through quiet forested roads by the lake. Our inn for the next two days is a cozy family-run pension which serves excellent meals. The inn does not have private en suite baths in guest rooms, but has an excellent shared onsen (natural hot spring) bath. (Breakfast and dinner included)
Today we ride around two beautiful caldera lakes in the area – Lake Mashu and Lake Kussharo. Our route takes us through dense forest and then to a 7 kilometer ascent to observation points, from which you can view the Lake Mashu on clear days. We then descend to the town of Teshikaga for lunch. In the afternoon we enjoy relaxing rides along Lake Kussharo. We stop by Sunayu where hot spring water gushes out through the sand on the shore. We also visit Kawayu Eco Museum and Mt. Io which has over 1,500 large and small volcanic craters. (Breakfast and dinner included)
We bike to Nakashibetsu, one of the dairy farming centers in Japan. We ride past many cows grazing in the pastures. Our lunch stop is at a ranch which has a nice restaurant and a gallery with exhibits of wood block printing works by local artists. In the afternoon, we visit Kaiyodai observatory which stands on a hill offering a spectacular 360 degree view of the surrounding farmlands and the city of Nakashibetsu. Today we stay at a casual western-style hotel. (Breakfast and dinner included)
In the morning we continue pedaling through peaceful pastures. We soon reach the coastline and then ride along the east coast of the Shiretoko Peninsula to Rausu, enjoying views of the Nemuro Strait and Kunashiri Island. Rausu, our destination today, is a major fishing port in Shiretoko. After we check in our hotel, you can relax in onsen or stroll on a nice foot path near the hotel. We stay in a Japanese-style hotel and feast on freshly caught fish from the Rausu port. (Breakfast and dinner included)
Today we ride across the Shiretoko Peninsula to its west cost via Shiretoko Pass. Shiretoko Peninsula has seen little development and boasts untouched wilderness and rich wildlife. We start the day with a 14km climb to the pass. It is a long, but enjoyable hill climb with spectacular views of nearby Mt. Rausu. After a smooth descent and lunch, we bike to the Shiretoko Goko (Shiretoko’s five lakes) where we stroll around on wooden walkways. Our destination today is Utoro which is situated on the west coast of the Shiretoko Peninsula. We stay at a cozy western-style hotel. (Breakfast and dinner included)
Today is the last day of cycling during the trip. Our route follows the coastline of the Sea of Okhotsk offering magnificent views of the ocean as well as of Shiretoko Mountain Range. We pedal through fields and pastures, and past Lake Tofutsu, which is filled with irises during summer. We stop by Koshimizu Gensei-kaen (wild flower preserve), where about 40 kinds of flowers bloom in spring and summer. Before reaching Abashiri, we head inland onto “Kando-no-Michi” (heart-moving road) that features a diversity of rural scenery. Tonight we retreat in a deluxe Japanese-style hotel and celebrate our successful rides with farewell dinner and onsen. (Breakfast and dinner included)
Following breakfast, we say goodbye. You will be escorted by our guide to Memanbetsu Airport where you can catch an early afternoon flight to the Shin-Chitose Airport or other destination. (Breakfast included)